He was born in Germany, 1947, to Latvian refugee parents. They moved to Toronto when he was four years old. Around 1969, while living in India, he encountered Buddhism. He eventually travelled to Thailand to become a novice at Wat Mahathat in 1973 and took bhikkhu ordination the following year at Wat Pah Pong with Ajahn Chah. He went back to Canada to visit his family in 1977. Instead of returning to Thailand, he was asked by Ajahn Chah to join Ajahn Sumedho at the Hampstead Vihāra in London. Later, he was involved in the establishment of both the Chithurst and Harnham monasteries in the UK. In 1985, invited by the Wellington Theravāda Buddhist Association, he moved to New Zealand, where he lived for 10 years, setting up Bodhinyānārāma monastery. In 1995 he came to the UK to assist Ajahn Sumedho at Amarāvati and stayed for four years before returning to New Zealand, where he lived until 2002. He was living in Ottawa caring for his mother for nine years and is now resident Abbot at Tisarana.
- Early Bird registration for OBS Members Noon, Monday July 16th
- Public registration begins Thursday July 19th
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
1. Can I attend the retreat part time?
• NO, Priority is given to retreatants willing to commit for the full period,
2. Is the retreat accessible?
• Not at this time.
3. I have food allergies..what to do?
• All meals are vegetarian. If your registration is confirmed the OBS will contact you for any specific allergies etc.Galilee can accommodate gluten free, lactose intolerant and nut free meals.
4. I am allergic to electronic devices, will I be accommodated.
• NO, there will be recording devices and a sound system in the meditation room.
5. I have medical issues and need three meals a day, can I be accommodated.
• Galilee prepares breakfast and lunch meals. Yes, you may label and store a small amount of food in the greenhouse fridge across from the dining hall.
6. Can I choose my room?
• Room assignment is done by Galilee Centre unless there is a specific medical need. Please respect the policy of random assignment in the spirit of equanimity.
7. Can I bring my own bench/cushion/zafu?
• Yes please do… we have a limited number of mats and cushions.